Thursday, May 13, 2010

Made Up


Avery likes to sneak into the bathroom and open up little make up containers: mascara, eye liner, lip gloss, foundation.

Most of the time I catch her before she's made a mess. But, the other day I snuck up on her as she had opened my tube of foundation. I watched her for a moment as she was trying to smear a glob of fresh foundation all over her sweet puckered lips. I let out a little giggle, and when she noticed I was watching, she was startled. It made me sad that she already thinks she needs to sneak around and flattered that she was trying to wear my make-up.

I hope she'll always know she never needs it. That it will always be fun to her. That she'll always smear it joyfully on, in whatever way feels right to her - or not at all.

I remember watching my mom like that; She was, to me, the most beautiful woman in the world. I have to remember they are watching, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment