Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Day of School

I can't believe another year is here. The girls started their first day of school today.

I can't even bring myself to say the f-word. Five. That's right, next year Norah will enter kindergarten. Where did the time go?

As all the toddlers filed into Avery's class, it struck me how big her friends had gotten with just one little 3 month summer to grow. Baby fat had melted away, hair was longer, kids were chattier than just the last time we saw them.

And yet...

Both 3 year old and 4 year old kids gathered in one classroom this afternoon as I picked Norah up. I was struck with how little the 3 year old children seemed. Was Norah that little just last year? No, it can't be.

Norah proudly announced to me that some of her four year old friends lost their teeth last year. I, in turn, had an anxiety attack.

All the joy. All the scrapes and giggles. All the family style meals baking in the oven. All the dress up clothes dumped out on the carpet. The afternoon nap and the afternoon snack....I feel them slipping away.

Stop this train.

No comments:

Post a Comment