Monday, September 12, 2011

Avery's First Day of Preschool


Avery, standing in front of her preschool this morning. She insisted on wearing her bear sweat shirt, because her class is "the bears."




Being with Avery feels like being with an old friend. She is warm and accepting; up for anything. A trip to the grocery store with her is like a night out on the town. She can get ready in 2 seconds flat, running to the door and strapping down her shoes at a moment’s notice. She is always ready for the next adventure, big or small.

When I think of freedom, of wild abandon - I get an image of her chasing birds at the park with wind chapped cheeks; too distracted by her own sense of wonder to hear my calls. If you know me at all, then you know that I am neither calm nor adventurous. But Avery makes me feel both.

Today, she starts preschool. I am excited for her. She will make so many friends and learn so many things.

Last night as we snuggled at bedtime, I asked her what she was feeling about starting school. With a very serious look on her face, she replied, “Um, I’m a little bit nervous.”

“Why?” I asked.

“I’m scared I won’t make any friends,” she said. And, it melted my heart. Because, this, I know for her will be no problem. If I were in her preschool class, I would SO want to be her friend. Her joy, her curiosity, her bravery, her wit, her sense of humor, and her kindness make me love her not just because she is my child, but because she’s just such a great one.

I can’t wait to hear about all she learned today, and all her new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment