Saturday, March 30, 2013

My 15 Minutes of Fame

This week was a crazy week for me!  Last Sunday night, I started a petition on change.org after reading about Victoria's Secret's new spring marketing campaign for their college brand PINK.  The image I first saw was of a girl who looked very young next to the words "Bright Young Things" in bold letters.  The more I looked into the marketing campaign, and some of the underwear in the spring line, the more angry I became.

If you know me, then you know that one of my passions is speaking out about inappropriate marketing to children, in particular, young girls.  So, after reading a lot about the campaign and some recent remarks by an exec at VS, I decided I would start a petition and a Facebook page to rally support to tell Victoria's Secret to pull their campaign as well as some of the most offensive undies from their shelves.

The petition to date has over 15,000 signatures and the Facebook page has over 600 followers!  I could have never imagined things would go this far.  I was quoted in TIME magazine, was interviewed by CNN, and even Dr. Laura mentioned my petition online (I never thought THAT day would come!)
A friend watched it live and texted me this photo!

CNN has promised me a link to the live interview I did with them on Friday, and I will post it when I have it.  But, if you're wanting to see more information about where I've been quoted check out the following:


CNN 


ABC News

















It's been an incredible experience getting to speak out about a topic that matters so much to me.  AND now I've officially had my 15 minutes of fame.  As my mom so eloquently put it, "I knew that smart mouth of yours would come in handy some day!"  It has indeed, and I feel so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment