Sunday, June 6, 2010

Growing Good


Lately, Norah has seemed a little like a teenager. I'll ask her to do something, she'll do the opposite. She says potty words like, "booty, poopy, and stinky" combined with her sister's name or a meal I've prepared just to get a rise out of me. Her favorite statement is "no" and her favorite question is, "why?" She's been sassy, stubborn, and strong-willed. I'm not sure where she gets any of it (sarcasm.) Hint: me.

The other day I told her that being a loving, caring person who thinks before she speaks is part of growing up (something she so desperately wants to do.) I told her that if she wanted to be a big girl, she needed to have a better attitude. She replied,"no, I'm not going to have a better attitude until I'm six."

"Norah," I said, "if you want to have a better attitude when you're six, you better start practicing now." I thought she was ignoring me- she rolled her eyes and seemed to be thinking, "whatever."

But then, a few days later, Avery was doing her best to make Norah crack (that's what younger siblings do best, right?). She was yanking things from Norah's hands, shoving prized possessions in Norah's face, taunting loudly, "mine, mine, mine." Norah said kindly, "Avery, that is really bothering me. Can you stop?" And when Avery persisted she said, "I am really trying to be nice - this isn't helping."

I turned to Norah and said, "wow, Norah, I'm really impressed." Her response? "I'm practicing for when I'm six."



1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! You're such a good mamma to reason with your child rather than reprimand.

    ReplyDelete