Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cherry House Gallery: The Written Word


This new phase of Norah being in grade school has been really fun in many ways.  One of my favorite things about school has been that she is learning how to express herself through writing.  I love to watch her creativity reach new heights now that she can put her thoughts in writing!

In kindergarten, kids are just encouraged to work toward  phonetically sounding out words to get their thoughts down on paper, which I have to say, leads to some pretty hilarious attempts at spelling.   At the same time, they are learning to correctly read and write words, but this allows them to feel less frustrated as they make strides toward communicating through written word.

It was the 100th day of school for Norah on Thursday, and she informed me she needed to bring 100 tiny, edible objects to school to count.   I told her she could bring Cheerios.  She was NOT happy with that idea.  Apparently it wasn't cool enough.  So, she wanted to make sure I knew how she felt about it and wrote me this note.

As usual, I am represented as green, heart-faced, and with black hair.  Pretty accurate to how I imagine myself, too : )
It says, "I'm sorry to say, but I have to say this to you.  Lots of people have already (picked) cheerios, and chocolate chips, and marshmallows.  And, Mom, some kids,  like Mia, picked popcorn.  I prefer M&Ms, okay?"  Needless to say, I got the M&M's.


This one says, "I do not like bananas, but my sister Avery likes bananas." Notice there are two drawings of Norah and Avery.  I especially like Norah's rendition of Avery in the drawing on the right, holding out a banana, asking, "would you like a bite?"





No comments:

Post a Comment