Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sticky Situation

What happened today isn't noteworthy.   It's the kind of story that I'm not even sure I can relay in a way that conveys to anyone else why it made me giggle.

Today, I gave Norah a piece of gum.  I don't usually give her gum, because the last time I did was before a long car ride and she fell asleep.  The gum somehow managed to get in her hair, her seat, everywhere.  To be fair to Norah, that was 3 years ago.  But, the mess and cleaning it up stuck with me (pun intended)- and I've never really given her gum since.

But, after nagging me for a few days on end about a pack of gum I happened to have in the cupboard this week,  I finally agreed to give Norah a piece of gum after school today.

She was feeling really special: smacking, slurping, and chewing her gum so we could all hear her when she plopped down beside me on the couch and asked, "Mommy, when it's my birthday, can I have a whole pack of gum?" 

I turned to her, and said simply, "Yes."

She jumped up off the couch, took a deep breath, and shouted out, "Yay!"  And then suddenly her face changed, and she started to cry, "Oh no. Oh NO!!!!  I swallowed it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment