Friday, October 5, 2012

Sick Day

Today is a sick day at the Cherry House.  My two littlest are down for the count, both burning up, hacking, and puking. 

The older of the two, is curled up in bed moaning down to me every once in a while for a glass of water or a back rub. 


The littlest Cherry is a bit more demanding.She has decided that though very tired, she'd rather not nap.  And though wiggly and disgruntled in my lap, she'd rather not be set down. 

"Harper," I said to her, "do you want to be set down?"

"No!" she shouted.

"Harper," I asked, "do you want to take a nap?"

"No! No! No!" she shook her head.

"Harper," I said, "do you want to be tired and miserable but stay awake while I hold you all day?"   She nuzzled her head in my chest and said quietly, "yeah," with a sweet, sly, smile.



It is not a good day for a sick day around here.  Lucas and I have plans to go to a concert tonight, the girls have birthday parties and play dates scheduled all weekend, and my neighbor has planned a small shower for me.  Yet I have to admit, even knowing that some of the fun things we have planned for the weekend will likely not get to happen; everything can wait.   It is a sweet and sacred thing to cuddle with a sick child.

No comments:

Post a Comment